BASCILICA OF BOM JESUS

Architects: Julião Simão, Domingos Fernandes Architectural style: Baroque architecture Status: Minor bascilica

Construction started: 1594

Location: old goa

Introduction

Basilica of Bom Jesus is a famous Roman Catholic located in Goa. It is one of the famous ancient Churches of the country and it is recognized as a heritage site by UNESCO.The term ‘Bom Jesus’ means the Holy Jesus.


History:

• The Bom Jesus Basilica, perhaps Goa's most famous church and among the most revered by Christians worldwide, is partially in ruins but still a model of simplicity and elegance, and a fine example of Jesuit architecture.

• This Church is dedicated to “Bom Jesus”,the word Bom Jesus refersas “Infant Jesus” or “Good Jesus”.

• It was designed by 17th century Florentine sculptor, Giovanni Fogginni. Construction was started in 1594 and completed in 1605 on May 15th.

The Church holds the burial place and mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier. His remains are ensconced in a glass container encased in a silver casket in the Basilica.


ARCHITECTURE

• The Basilica of Bom Jesus is a monument typical of the classic forms of plane architecture, introduced by the Society of Jesus, otherwise known as the Jesuits.

• The façade, which is of granite,represents features of five styles of architecture: Roman, Ionic, Doric,Corinthian and Composite.

• It measures 183 ft in length,55 ft in breath,and 61 ft in height. The main altar is 54 ft high and 30 ft broad.

• The interior of the church is built in Mosaico- Corinthian style and is remarkable for its charming simplicity.

• The imposing facade built out of black granite in an exquisite combination of the Doric, Corinthian and composite styles, is remarkable for its simplicity.

• The pillars and detail are carved from basalt which was brought from Bassein, some 300 kms away.




• The roof was originally tiled.

• The church is cruciformon plan.

• The flying buttresses on the northern side of the church are recent additions. A single-storeyed structure adjoining the church on its southern wing connects it with the professed house.

• The three-storeyed facade of the church shows ionic, doricand corinthian orders.

• It has a main entrance flanked by two smaller ones, each having corinthian columns supporting a pediment.

• There are two chapels,a main altar and a sacristy besides a choir inside the church itself.There is a belfryis at the back.



The churchis cruciform on plan


The flying buttresses on the northern side of the church are recent additions.A single-storeyed structure adjoining the church on its southern wing connects it with the professed house.



The three-storeyed facade of the church shows ionic, doric and corinthian orders.

It has a main entrance flanked by two smaller ones, each having corinthian columns supporting a pediment.


• As one enters, beneath the choir, to the right is an altar of St. Anthony and to the left is an exceedingly well-carved wooden statue of St. Francis Xavier.

• In the middle of the nave on the northern wall is the cenotaph of the benefactor of this church, Dom Jeronimo Mascarenhas, the Captain of Cochin, who died in 1593, bequeathing the resources out of which this church was built. The two columns supporting the choir bear slabs inscribed in Portuguese and Latin the dates of beginning of construction and the consecration.

• Opposite the cenotaph, projecting on the southern wall is a profusely carved wooden pulpit with a canopy on top. The pulpit has on its three sides the figures of Jesus, the four evangelists and four doctors of the church. The bottom of the pulpit depicts seven figures as though supporting it.


Well craved wooden statue of st.francis Xavier

• A projecting gallery,which was intended for the use of

dignitaries on solemn occasions, runs along the two longer sides of the Church

• The main altar at the end of the nave is flanked by two decorated altars in the transept, one dedicated to Our Lady of Hope and the other to St. Michael.


In the transept on the northern side is the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament.

• In the southern side in the transept is a chapel with gilded twisted columns and floral decorations of wood, where the sacred relics of the body of St. Francis Xavier are kept. The interior of this chapel is richly adorned with wooden carvings and paintings, depicting the scenes from the life of the Saint.

Adjoining the Chapel of St. Francis Xavier is a corridor that leads to the sacristy, entered through an exquisitely carved wooden door. It is an oblong vaulted structure with an apse at the end.

• In the altar at the apse in an iron chest containing a golden rose blessed by the Pope Pius XII and gifted to this city in 1953.

• Inside the basilica the layout is simple but grand. A simple wooden one has now replaced the original vaulted ceiling. To the left of the door as you enter the basilicais a statue of St. Francis Xavier, but the visitor's attention is drawn to the huge and ornate gilded reredos which stretches from floor to ceiling behind the altar.


ARCHITECTURAL PROPORTIONS IN THE CHURCH BOM JESUS.

As the church Bom Jesus has not a cruciform plan, the approach taken to the proportions analysis was completely different from that of the se Cathedral. The starting points were the church’s original major width and the form and proportion of the courtyard .Of the two, the church’s original major width is no longer evident because of the late 1650s amplifications of the lateral chapel. the original width is now easily recognizable on the north side, which stands free as it sticks out of the main building. This original major width was denominated A and is roughly 122 goa palms. Façade, Churchof Bom Jesus. Dimensions in goa palms

Façade churchof bom jesus


Proportional analysis of the façade based on radius r church of bom jesus

Proportional analysis of the façade based on module a and radius r, church of bom jesus The Basilica of Bom Jesus is a finesse of the Baroque architecture. The material used to build this monumental masterpiece is black granite and is a mix of Corinthian, Doric and composite styles. The Basilica stands 61 feet tall and has pillars in tricately carved out of basalt.The layout follows simple Renaissance norms while the detailing and decoration is unabashed Baroque.The mausoleum of St. Xavier is a


marvel of Italian art (the marble base) and Hindu craftsmanship (the silver casket). The elaborately gilded altars are beautiful examples of sculptures and carvings in wood, stone, gold and granite. Columns are covered with marble and inlaid with precious stones. The church also houses paintings depicting the life of St. Francis Xavier.

The floor is of marble inlaid with precious stones. Apart from the elaborate gilded altars,the interior of the church is simple.



0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All